WHAT IS BREAST CANCER
Breast cancer is the abnormal growth of malignant cells in the breast. The abnormal cells spread through the rest of the body through the lymphatic system. Breast cancer is the leading cancer amongst women and the second cause of cancer related deaths amongst women.
1 out of every 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their life time.
In the year 2020, 2.3 million women were diagnosed with breast cancer globally with a total of 685,000 deaths.
In Ghana, there were 4,482 diagnoses in the year 2020 with 2,055 deaths.
RISK FACTORS LEADING TO BREAST CANCER
- Being a woman
- Family history of breast cancer
- Previous history of breast cancer
- Alcohol intake
- Lack of exercise
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
- Lump or swelling in the breast, upper chest or armpit
- A change in the skin such as puckering, thickening or dimpling
- Change in the colour of the breast
- Abnormal discharge from the nipple
- Changes in the size and shape of the breast
PREVENTION OF BREAST CANCER
- Limit alcohol intake
- Quit smoking
- Maintain healthy weight
- Exercise and physical activities
- Monthly self-breast examination
BREAST CANCER IS PREVENTABLE, EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES!!!