Department Of Physical Planning
The Department of Physical Planning at the district level shall manage the activities of the Department of Town and Country Planning and the Departments of Parks and Gardens. The Physical Planning office prepares planning and revision schemes for the Assembly and Zonal Councils.
It also helps in controlling physical development and the processing of development permit applications and advice’s management and citizenry on spatial and economic related planning issues.
The Department is also responsible for:
- Advising the Assembly on national policies on physical planning, land use and development;
- Co-ordinating activities and projects of departments and other agencies including Non-Governmental Organisations to ensure compliance with planning standards.
- Assisting in the preparation of physical plans as a guide for the formulation of development policies and decisions and to design projects in the municipality.
- Assisting in identifying problems concerning the development of land and its social, environmental and economic implications.
- Advising on setting out approved plans for future development of land at the municipal level.
- Advising on preparation of structures for towns and village within the municipality.
- Facilitating and participating in research into planning in the municipality
- Offering professional advice to aggrieved persons on appeals and petitions on decisions made on their building
- Facilitating consultation, co-ordination and harmonization of developmental decisions into a physical development plan
- Assisting in preparing a Land-Use Plan to guide activities in the municipality.
- Advising on the conditions for the construction of public and private buildings and structures
- Providing the layout for buildings for improved housing layout and settlement
- Ensuring the prohibition of the construction of new buildings unless building plans submitted have been approved by the Assembly.
- Advising and facilitating the demolition of dilapidated buildings and recovery of expenses incurred in connection with the demolition.
- Ensuring the prohibition of the use of inflammable materials in the construction or repair of buildings in defied areas
- Advising the Assembly on the sitting of signage’s and masts to ensure compliance with the decisions of the Assembly
- Advising on the acquisition of landed property in the public interest; and undertaking street naming, numbering of houses and related Issues.