Urban Road Department
The Municipal Urban Road Department undertakes the following activities:
- Collect data for planning and development of road infrastructure in the Municipality.
- Register and maintain records of classified contractors and consultants in the Urban Roads construction industry within the Municipality.
- Prepare progress and annual reports on road works as well as provide inputs into the preparation of budget for road maintenance activities.
- Monitor to ensure that funds from road fund and other sources are used for the designated roads in line with approved standards.
- Assist with evaluation of road designs by consultants and facilitate capacity building of contractors and stakeholders within the Municipality.
- Routine maintenance which includes: Desilting, Grass cutting, Drain and kerb cleaning, Pothole patching /Sectional repairs, Minor drainage repairs, Culvert repairs, Grading, Replacement of slabs and metal gratings and Green area maintenance.
- Periodic Maintenance activities include; Drainage construction, culvert construction, Kerbs and retaining wall, Graveling, culvert approach fill, Gravel Supply, Clearing and grading of un-engineered roads, Resealing and Shoulder repairs.
- Traffic Management and Safety which includes; Street lights, Road signs, Crush barriers and pedestrian guardrails, Road line marking, Speed humps, Erection and repair of bollards, Installation of traffic signals, Removal of directional signs, walkway construction, Intersection improvement and Horticultural works (grass planting).
- Minor Rehabilitation and Upgrading comprises the partial reconstruction and upgrading of gravel roads.